Microsoft endorsed WMV player for Mac
- Plays WMV files in standalone Flip Player or QuickTime
- Doesn't obscure playback with controls
- Converts video and audio to other formats
- Optimized for OS X 10.7+
- Powerful tools for video editors working with WMV
- Playback support in Office 2011 for Word and PowerPoint
- Keynote can import Windows Media files through Flip4Mac
- Supports video previews in Finder
- Supports WMV in Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Mail
- Official Windows Media Player
- Does not support Snow Leopard
- Does not support screencasting
- Leaves a watermark in QuickTime
- Advanced features only in Pro version
If you need to play WMV or WMA files on your Mac, then Flip4Mac is a simple and effective solution. Softonic was given exclusive access to the preview of the 3.0 private beta version of Flip4Mac and now the final version of 3.0 is here.
Flip4Mac has been completely rewritten to meet the new requirements in OS X 10.7 and 10.8. Flip4Mac 3.0 includes an option to install
First some background to Flip4Mac. WMV is Microsoft's own video format which by default, won't play on Macs since Apple's own video format is QuickTime. The most common solution for users has been to install a multimedia player such as
Flip4Mac 3.0 is not just a plugin for QuickTime however. For the first time, it introduces its own player - Flip Player - but it will still allow you to view WMV videos in
The free version of Flip Player in Flip4Mac 3.0 is very clean in appearance and does a good job of not obscuring video content during playback as there are no overlay controls. Instead, the player controls only appear when you move the mouse cursor over it. Flip Player also includes a new "Dim Lights" feature which neatly darkens everything around it so that you focus on just the video. Playback controls are enhanced with slow motion options and most functions can be performed using keyboard shortcuts.
Among the more powerful features of the basic version of Flip Player are the ability to Crop, Rotate, Scale and Trim video which is not possible in QuickTime X. You can also now convert and export WMV video for
If you want to change the general plugin settings of Flip4Mac 3.0, they can be accessed at the bottom of your Mac system preferences under "Other". There are several different configurations options including for the Flip Player media browser, upgrade, update and plugin settings.
Note that Flip4Mac 3.0 no longer supports OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (although
Overall, the introduction of Flip Player is the major innovation in Flip4Mac 3.0. It offers some powerful features that aren't available in the free version of QuickTime, and it's very well designed to suit the look of OS X. However, it lacks some of the features of QuickTime (such as screen recording) and some users may feel it's not quite as slick as Apple's own player.
Flip4Mac 3.0 remains a powerful solution for anyone that needs to play WMV and Windows Media on their Mac and the introduction of Flip Player is a significant enhancement that makes managing WMV files on Mac easier than ever.
- New Features: New in-app stores purchasing Fixes and Enhancements: Dramatically improved the loading time for ASF files (.wmv, .wma, .wm, .wmp, .asf, etc.).